Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Homework 7

1. I would like to discuss the spoil sport of prediction that bugs me. This would be Spoil Sport of Prediction # 4: the Butterfly Effect. First of all, I can see plausibility in this effect. It is very likely that certain small events can trigger other events, eventually snowballing; similar to your example with a butterfly flapping it wings, and then causing a hurricane. The problem I have with this is the idea that it started with that one butterfly, or that it was the sole contributor to the beginning of the event. Surely one butterfly flapping its wings will cause movement in the air, but what is not being considered here is that other events occurring at the same time and not necessarily afterwords that aid in the following effects. So, it was not just the one butterfly, but a group of them, or perhaps a butterfly and a nearby bird. Another point to make with this theory is that the events that lead up to the butterfly flapping its wings in that location at that exact time are not considered. Observer effect can be applied to this. If an individual were to be spectating that butterfly, it could been "scared" and moved. What if that individual were not there? What if that butterfly had died days earlier? The possibilities leading up to that event which could have effected it are endless. Word count: 233

2. A spoil sport of prediction that I would like to relate to my project is the Observer Effect. This is most applicable as it deals with individuals viewing an image. As the technology is developed, it will be the humans viewing them that will alter what the future holds for holography. Also, I could become interested enough in the topic that I decide to get involved with it. By doing my research, I could become motivated to work in the field of holography.

3. Presentation date: Since all other projects were done before the final, I will be presenting Wednesday, December 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment