Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Homework 8

1. The most interesting or notable topic I took from Earth 2100 is the scarcity of drinkable water. This is something I had not considered until seeing this show. Drinkable water is something we pretty much take for granted. I have never had an issue with getting a glass of water whenever I've needed it. I drink water constantly. It is pretty much the only drink I consume. If this is going to be an issue in the future, I would be in big trouble. Obviously, all of would as water is necessary to life, but I am just considering how much I actually love water, and what it would be like if it were not freely available. Another point I took from the video is the effect of global warming and what it would contribute to rising water levels. I am not sure how I feel about global warming, as I have not done much research on it, but any time I think about it, I consider oranges. I know this seems strange, but think about this next time you eat one. Do you notice that during the winter months the rind of an orange is thinker. I realize that this in no way discredits the overall view of global warmer, but every year, the rinds are always thick.

2. Possible effects of holography on global warming: With the use of holography in let's say conferencing, it would not be necessary to travel. So, a businessman may need to give a presentation across the country, but with holographic presentations, he will not need to fly or drive a car. This will reduce carbon footprint by not using the energy and fuel required to travel. However, the use of holography does come at some cost. It requires power to send the imagery, as well as display it. This will in turn increase energy consumption. The question is will these two offset each other, or will one outweigh the other?

Word count: 328

No comments:

Post a Comment